Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Dresser Reborn

It comes as no surprise that I spend a fair amount of time trolling Craigslist looking at what appears to be my passion - dressers. I can only blame it on the fact that I haven't had one since I moved to Ohio in the late 90's. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

A few weeks back I spotted a rather plain pine dresser for far too good a price to pass up. I contacted the seller, but didn't hear back from them so I figured it had already been sold. About a week later, I received an email asking if I was still interested. Yes, please!

A ginger beauty...
It isn't the style that I'm usually attracted to but it was exactly what the apothecary ordered. It just so happens that we are both members of the Society for Creative Anachronisms which means we have what feels like four times the amount of stuff to store as a normal person. His and hers plus his and hers personas. Don't even get me started on the span of centuries and civilizations we cover. Needless to say, we needed a dresser that could serve our vast and often nefarious storage purposes.

The update process started easily enough with the decision to paint the dresser. Why? Well, we had a lovely blue color on hand in an enamel finish left over from the laundry room debacle.   (Never buy a quart of paint, always buy a gallon... lesson learned.) The body of the dresser is Sherwin Williams Calypso and the drawers are spray painted white. Thank you for the idea of mixing it up like that, Internet!

Tidy Cat should be in every picture!
Sanded, primed, painted, painted, poly, and poly. There she is in all her glory. It's hard to tell the color from the picture due to the warm tone of the overhead lights, but it is essentially Tidy Cat blue. We picked up the hardware at a local store and spray painted them blue. Overall, I call this a project a success... provided you don't see the several pieces of cat hair that mysteriously ended up in the polyurethane on the drawers...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment