Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Caffeinated!

The bathroom vanity at SLP leaves a little to be desired. If I had to carbon date it, it would be from the late 90's when the kitchen was remodeled (estimate based on the serial numbers of the items coming out of the kitchen.) It's perfectly serviceable, although one drawer does stick a little. It has seen some wear and tear from the previous family of four. The wood is in OK condition overall, but the finish is this ghastly orange-tinged oak color. :|

In order to extend the life of this bathroom, and quite possibly my sanity, an update of some sort is required. I would consider painting it white, but the vanity top is a creamy color and I think overall would look a little weird in this space, so I have decided to go the opposite direction - espresso.

I stumbled across Monica Wants It a few months back and the technique to use espresso stain to darken oak cabinets. It seemed logical to invest $20 for stain and polyurethane. In a grand effort to avoid another project, I took apart the bathroom last night, did all the prep work, and have applied the first coat. I cannot wait to see the end result! (Ok, well, I can... the end result will be in another 6 coats plus drying time, but that's moot!)



No comments:

Post a Comment